Herefordshire has higher proportions of residents in their early fifties and above than nationally and generally lower relative proportions of young people – see ‘Population pyramid’ in related documents for an illustration of how Herefordshire’s age structure compares with England & Wales.
Numbers in the older age groups have been growing at a disproportionately high rate in Herefordshire and people aged 65 and over currently account for around a quarter (26%) of the county’s total population. This age group will continue growing at a high rate with numbers aged 85+ rising even more rapidly.
Herefordshire’s working age population grew by around 5K in the few years following the expansion of the EU in 2004, largely as a result of younger working age adults moving into the county from the EU. However, numbers have fallen by around 4K to around 109K people over the last 10 years.
There is a lower proportion of children in Herefordshire (16%) compared with nationally (19%). Numbers had fallen by -5% over the last decade compared with a 4% increase nationally. A recent decline in fertility rates, both locally and nationally, will mean that numbers of children are likely to continue declining.
- 2022 Mid Year Population Estimates For Herefordshire - File type: XLSX Size: 306KB
- 2022 Population Pyramid Chart - File type: XLSX Size: 146KB
- Components Of Population Change In Herefordshire, 2001 22 - File type: XLSX Size: 258KB
- 2021 Census population and household estimates - File type: PDF Size: 523KB
- Demography And Migration Census 2021 In Herefordshire - File type: PDF Size: 506KB
- Population data in response to Ukraine conflict. v1.0 - File type: PDF Size: 383KB
- Forecast analysis tool - File type: XLSX Size: 5.11MB
- Future population of Herefordshire report - File type: PDF Size: 287KB
- Herefordshire population 1951-2011 (censuses by parish) - File type: XLS Size: 84KB
- Languages In Hfds 2020 - File type: PPTX Size: 112KB